Unit I: Matter and Change
Goal: the student will gain an understanding of the classification of matter based on knowledge of chemical and physical properties of matter.
Objectives: The student should be able to:
1. Describe and distinguish heterogeneous and homogeneous materials, substances, mixtures, and solutions.
2. Describe and give examples of elements and compounds.
3. Classify matter as an element, compound, or mixture.
4. Distinguish between elements, compounds, and mixtures in terms of their composition.
5. Identify properties of metals, nonmetals and metalloids.
6. Identify characteristics of chemical and physical changes.
7. Classify changes in matter as chemical or physical.
8. Distinguish among extensive, intensive, physical and chemical properties.
9. Differentiate among the physical states of matter.
10. Name and distinguish between the parts of a solution.
11. Compare and contrast the properties of' solutions, suspensions and colloids.
12. Describe properties of colloids and explain how these properties depend upon particle size.
13. Recognize upon what property methods such as distillation, filtration, centrifugation, chromatography, and electrophoresis are based.
14. State the law of conservation of mass and apply it to situations involving physical or chemical change.
15. Explain how compounds obey the laws of definite and multiple proportions.
|Date||Description of Activity|
|Aug 28||Discuss Density Lab, Lab Notebooks, Lab Writeups, Using Graphical Analysis; Discuss Unit I Exam|
|Aug 29||Density Lab|
|Aug 30||Lecture: Chemical & Physical Properties|
|Aug 31||Lecture: Chemical & Physical Changes|
|Sept 1||Lecture: Mixtures, Elements, Compounds|
|Sept 5||Lab: Analyzing & Identifying White Solids|
|Sept 6||Post-lab Discussion, Finish Lecture: Mixtures, Elements, Compounds|
|Sept 7||Lab: Conservation of Mass|
|Sept 8||Finish Lab: Conservation of Mass; Post-lab Discussion; Discuss Study Guides|
|Sept 11||Unit II Review|
|Sept 12||Unit II Exam|
|Date||Description of Assignment|
|Aug 28||Prelab: Density|
|Aug 29||Lab Report: Density, Due Sept 5; Read Chapter 3|
|Aug 30||Begin Ch 3 Study Guide|
|Aug 31||Prelab: Analyzing and Identifying White Solids|
|Sept 1||Read Ch 15, Section 4; Ch 15, Section 4 Study Guide|
|Sept 5||Lab Report: Analyzing and Identifying White Solids, Due Sept 13|
|Sept 6||Prelab: Conservation of Mass|
|Sept 7||Finish Study Guides|
|Sept 8||Lab Report: Conservation of Mass, Due Sept 13|
|Sept 11||Study for Exam II|
|Sept 12||Read Ch 4|
Lecture & Lab Materials: